Visitors

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge Review/Product Comparison

This post is exclusive to my blog no video what so ever on this topic. Originally this topic was meant for a video and I actually did film. However I decided to make this exclusive to my blog (since I have been neglecting it pretty bad)

Not too long ago I did a haul showing the stuff I got from my one day trip to the states. Some of you may have saw this little blue thing, that I got from target. This little blue thing is the Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge. I know tons of people done review on this sponge but I thought I will put in my 2 cent, cause everyone is different. To make it different from others, I am also going to compare this sponge here with 3 other commonly used foundation application tools.

Lets start off the review with some general information. As most of you have seen on blogs or YouTube, this sponge is probably compared mostly to the pink egg shaped sponge "the Beauty Blender." The Sonia Kashuk Sponge is a more affordable alternative to the Beauty Blender. The concept of both the sponges is the same, they are both design and created for smooth application of foundation. Have you ever came across the problem of getting streak marks when applying foundation? Well with this sponge you wont get that problem, because of the way is shaped. The design is the secret weapon, the sponge is round which doesn't give off any edges and thats what makes streak marks. No Edges=No Streak Marks :)
SK Blending Sponge doesn't exactly resemble an egg shape but is very similar. I
prefer the design of the SK Sponge more. You get a pointy tip which is better for
areas that's harder to reach (like around your nose and under the eye area) Than going to the bottom is round and has a larger area to work with, which is great for your forehead and the cheek area. What you don't get with the beauty blender is the curve in the middle, and is what makes SK Special. The curve in the middle is why I prefer SK than to Beauty Blender. This curve allows a better hold and control of the sponge, when working in areas around the nose.

The concept like I mentioned earlier is the same, they both created for multiple uses to create flawless application of foundation. You can use it wet or dry for powder, cream or liquid products. Let me save you some money by saying this: if you are going to use this sponge dry for liquid products just don't get it. Yes it does work but what you are going to find is, it uses way too much of your foundation. Waste of money and the true potential of the sponge. Another tip is use it Wet instead of Dam the material is unlike regular sponges is more durable. When is only Dam it doesn't absorb enough liquid to prevent absorption of your foundation. After every uses you must wash the sponge, bacteria harvest faster on sponge like material especially if is wet. You don't need any special type of cleanser to clean it, baby shampoo will do the trick. By this point some of you may be thinking how long will this sponge last?
Well that depends on how frequently you use the sponge for application of foundation. The more frequent you use it (like everyday basis) you probably find your sponge breaking down at 2 months time.
Fact: This sponge takes ridiculous amount of time to dry, no matter what I try to cut down the time. The result is the same, it will take a minimum of 1 and a half day to dry. Yep I know thats long, so if are going to use this sponge everyday I suggesting getting 2.

Time for comparison, first on the list "sponge wedges" as far as material and texture is probably the most similar to the SK Sponge. Although the material is very similar, when it comes to application is very different. The Wedges will give out streak marks when blending since there's edges. However the streak marks are very minimal which is acceptable for me. One thing I noticed was with the wedges it is a lot easier to tell how much product you are applying on unlike the SK Sponge. I like it personally to see and know how much product you are applying on to your face. You are less likely to apply too much foundation, which prevents you from looking cakey. Thats one of the biggest issue I have with the SK Sponge, everything else is good to me. Choosing one over the other is extremely easy for this product, I will go with the wedges. Cause I can see how much product is going on my FACE!!!

Second on the list is a brush and is the "classic foundation brush" We are talking about application tools for foundation and this brush right here is specifically made for applying foundation so lets see how it turns out. First thing you notice when using the brush is STREAK MARKS, is way too obvious to ignore it. One thing you can do to try preventing streak marks is to apply foundation in a criss crossing motion. But half the time that is ineffective just saying, so you will definitely need more time to blend out the foundation to give it a flawless texture. When comparing this to SK Sponge, I think I prefer the Sponge over the brush just because the amount of time you need to spend on blending.

Third but not least is another brush and this one is "the skunk brush or the duo fiber brush or the stippling brush" whatever you want to call it :) The application of this brush compared to the SK Sponge is the most similar and I probably would say is identical. The coverage it gives off and the texture is identical. The coverage that you get from both product is light but not sheer, the effect you get is like airbrush. Both product is hard to tell how much product you are putting on your face, but I have to say the brush is just a tag easier to tell. Overall these 2 are very similar and I wouldn't know which to favor over.

After 3 comparison which one do I favor the most? Is it the SK Sponge or the Wedges or the Classic Foundation Brush or the Skunk Brush. Hmmm I have to go with the wedges is a hard one because I do like the skunk brush but I prefer the coverage that the wedges gives. Also I consider the fact that wedges can be found in any drug store in a huge pack of 30. As for the SK is only available in Target so if you don't have a Target around your area you pretty much cant get it.

*Price: SK Sponge $10 CAD / Wedges(pack of 30-32) $2-3 CAD
Just looking at the price the wedges is actually more affordable than the SK Sponge. A pack of wedges usually comes with 30-32, you are only paying max 3 bucks for wedges each month. Costing $36 year round, for SK Sponge usually start breaking down in 2 months. Costing $60 year round and that doesn't even include your backup sponge. So which means you are saving a total of $24 yearly if you decided to go with wedges.

Is harder to compare the prices with brushes, since you can get brushes at different price range from $16-$34. But if you take good care of your brushes, your most likely going to end up using the same brush for up to 2 years or more. So at the end you are saving more on brushes than to the sponge.

Would I get this again? Probably not is not like is a bad product but I can definitely find products that can do the same if not better. Hope this review/comparison helps :)
Thanks for Reading and also remember to check out my YouTube Channel

Cheri
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment